My Hair, My Choice

June 10, 2016

Shoutout to my sister.

Last year around this time  I walked into the salon to get my 'big chop'. I was filled with all kinds of feelings and I had taken some time to finally make up my mind. I sat in the chair with my mom and my sister right beside me and before I knew it half of my hair was gone. I didn't even have time to change my mind. What was I thinking?  I'm glad I decided go through with it because fast forward to today I have dreadlocks and I am happy.  

I have also noticed how more and more people are going to natural with their hair.  I think it's absolutely amazing  and it's wonderful to see people embracing their natural beauty. We've come a long way and this is the first step in showing that what the media portrays is not the only form of beauty. 

What I don't like however,  is when people shame others for they choices they make. When I decided to get my 'big chop' I had lots of people asking me why I cut my hair and having tons of opinions about my choices. I have also noticed that people that  get weaves are shamed and told that they are making themselves 'less African'. What ever that means. 

That got me thinking and the more I started thinking the angrier I started to get because being African is not about how you choose to style your hair. In fact I don't think there's is a right way to be African or anything else for that matter.  I believe it's all about choosing to go for what makes you happy and as long as you aren't hurting anyone don't stop doing whatever that puts a smile on your face. 

There are lots of reasons why people go for the hairstyles they have. Sometimes they  just want to experiment other times it's just an easier way to maintain their hair and sometimes not much thought is put into the whole process of doing your hair. I'm not sure what exactly this is but I guess what I'm trying to say is that what I do with my hair shouldn't  bother anyone. My hair,  my choice. It's that simple. 

Follow me:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oh I loved this post and I couldn't agree with you more. I have decided to go natural too but not because anyone told me to. It was my choice because I want to grow out and experiment with my natural kinky curly hair. It's such a shame that not everyone is nice about what you do to ur hair. I have been asked loads of times about why I like changing my hairstyles so often. My simple answer is I like versatility and I like to experiment and if that true that is not everyone's cup of tea but they are happy to wear their hair however they like. Most people tend to forget the very important thing "you are not your hair and what you do to it should not even matter. "
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Oh by the way I will be doing a natural hair update on my blog soon. I'm so excited😊

    Joanny
    imachoccakeaholic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why people feel the need to comment about what I choose to do. I'm definitely going to take a look at your hair update!

      Delete