Artventure #9 : Comparison Is The Thief Of Joy

August 21, 2016


Art is not a competition and there is no right way to create art. For some time I would compare my work with others and I would be unhappy that my art wasn't  up to their standard. It bothered me but then I began to think about it.

It made me realise that it's not about whose better than who but it is about why I continue to pick up my pencils and my paint brushes. I do it because I love to create. I love starting out with absolutely nothing and watching it transform into a whole new image. The whole process of creating makes me happy and that is why I continue to do it.

Comparison is a very natural habit but it is also the thief of joy. Nothing is ever ugly until you decide to compare it with another. I have learnt to keep this in mind with whatever it is that I am doing and when I start comparing myself to others I remember the reason why I started.

I keep a file with all my drawings and nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than when I flip through that file. It's filled with so many drawings, some better than others but when I look at them all I remember is the amount of joy I felt after completing them and I don't want anything or anyone to ever take that away from me.

There is never a correct way to do something. If it makes you happy and you aren't hurting anyone keep doing it. You will make mistakes and you will learn a lot along the way. Just keep moving forward and have a good time.

Have you ever compared yourself to others? How did you deal with it?

Follow me: 

You Might Also Like

0 comments