My Artventure 5♡

December 12, 2015

I was scrolling through Tumblr a while ago when I came across a post that stated that it’s often seen as okay when academic people cannot participate in creative tasks but when the situation is flipped around, often the creative is viewed as lazy and not trying hard enough. The post sparked something in me and it became evident to me that people have formulated certain stereotypes towards creative people. I think it’s time we emphasize that being creative is as important as being academic. That it is okay to aspire to be a writer, a photographer, an artist, whatever you may wish to be. 

We have this set idea that one is meant to attend school, go to university and find a job. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with this, I’m saying that there are other options and I would have been very grateful if I had learnt this an earlier stage of my life. It is only recently that I started looking at various creative careers and actually considering them as options all because as I have had a fixed idea of how my life was meant to turn out. Mary Lou Cook describes creativity very beautifully, “Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes and having fun.” 

What stops us from trying to discover our creative side is fear. Fear is a prison, it will take you into custody and finding your true self won’t be an easy task. I have been a victim of fear, it took me quite some time and courage to finally share my writing and to express myself more openly. I’m still on my journey of learning to let go of my fears and express myself. I have discovered that freedom lies on the other side of fear and I am hoping that everyone can learn that too.

 Art is about open opinions and understanding rather than formulae and measurements. It’s a way to learn more about one’s self, to discover where your passion lies and how you would like to spend the rest of your life. We have this fear of being wrong and being rejected but art is all about the opposite.  As Joseph Chilton Pierce once said, “To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.” 

Choosing the creative path is an unconventional  decision, it is like choosing the road less travelled, you will never know how things may turn out but then take a moment and ask yourself, which ever path you may decide to choose how can you ever be sure? The creative route is an option, everyone should be made aware of this. We shouldn’t take a certain direction because it has been programmed into our brains but because it is what we truly want. 

Follow Me:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I totally agree with you. I believe that everyone is made differently and have different passions and this shld not be dismissed just because most people think that way.
    Loved this post 😊
    Joanny
    imachoccakeaholic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete